Monday, April 20, 2009

Day 130 in Our House

Amazingly, we've owned the house for 130 days. I haven't chronicled all of the progress in the past few months but it is coming along. I've continued to remove wallpaper from the kitchen and it is almost ready to paint. We've hung some pictures. We've repaired the kitchen and bathroom sinks. This weekend, Joshua and his brother Mike built a door frame to add a door in front of our furnace closet. Previously this was covered by a thin piece of wood paneling, I think with some sort of deer pattern on it. Ugly. We took that down and covered it in plastic, but it poured cold air into the house all winter.

Behold, the new door (they even added the vent--awesome!)

Over the past couple of weeks, since we actually had a couple of nice spring days, we've been trying to get the yard cleaned up. There are many, many weeds (dandelions mostly) and a lot of junk awaiting a city dumpster to be delivered to our driveway in another couple of weeks. Today, we paid another visit to Lowes and then spent the afternoon in the yard, planting the garden.
Here's our plan: We've got all the critical components of really good salsa, though I will still need to plant some herbs, maybe on the back porch. We'll also hopefully have the makings for salad, zucchini bread, jack-o-lanterns, and watermelon seed spitting contests.

It doesn't look like much yet, but we'll invite you over later in the season to enjoy the fruits (or veggies as it were) of our labors.

8 comments:

Ivy said...

I can't wait for the fruits and veggies of your labors!! Keep up the good work :) It was fun to have you host on sunday - we had a good time.

proudmama said...

Plant so much you can't possibly use it all... then think of me during the harvest. Lookin' good.

::Kayla:: said...

Looks awesome!

April said...

How big is your garden? You've got a good variety mix planned out, I hope it goes well!

One thing we did was put fruit as part of the landscaping around the yard instead, because it comes back year after year, vegetables don't. That way you don't have to till around the fruit each spring when you get ready for planting.

Unknown said...

Your garden looks beautiful! Can't wait for some home made salsa.

SherBear said...

Wow, you Domestic Goddess!! I'm impressed!!!

Andersonland said...

How fun! How much does that count towards a year supply of food, maybe I need to get on that wagon! Great job!!!

Nicole Bolinger said...

GREAT garden!!! Sory about my bloglist. It has been erased like 3 times, once my own fault. I know I put you on there once before, but I guess I missed you the last time I had to recreate it. ANywya, it is updates now!!!