Thursday, April 9, 2009

Principle #1: America is good

Arrogant, Mr. Obama? No, just aware that I live in the greatest country in the world.

I've been a little miffed at Mr. Obama's recent European tour. Mostly for one comment, "Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive." While I don't entirely disagree--we quite often take for granted the great opportunities this country affords us all--I cringe when the leader of this great nation fails to acknowledge that America is still the beacon of hope to millions around the world. He acknowledges the "good that America often does around the world" but fails to stand up for a country that more often than not leads the rest of the world in development, enlightenment, and ultimately freedom. These roots certainly run deep, across oceans where our ancestors came from, but it is the unique spirit of America that draws millions from around the world to flourish in this garden.

Mr. Obama, I pray each day that the Lord will help me to not be arrogant, dismissive or derisive. However, I also thank him each day that I live in a country where this does not still happen:

1 comment: