Monday, December 22, 2008

Day 10-- The adventure continues

This was both a blessing and a curse. On Sunday, after our first night in the new house and our first showers, we discovered Old Faithful erupting right in our garage. We had both taken showers and the house, thankfully, wasn't smelling much like urine which we had previously attributed to pets of the previous owners. We had sealed the floors before laying the carpet, so we expected the smell to subside. Well, suddenly Joshua asked me if I had noticed the increased odor of putresence. I did, but couldn't figure out why until I heard water running in the garage and discovered that our water heater was spewing hot water from the emergency pressure valve. The water had saturated an already previously soaked and subsequently rotted wall, which was repaired on the garage side but not on the side of the wall behind our bathroom cabinet. The blessing, we finally know the source of the pee smell. Every time the furnace (right next to the area in question) heats up the wall, it stinks. The only solution we can think of is to rip out the bathroom sink and replace the wall and flooring behind/underneath. Ugh, that would be the curse part.
What a mess:
Joshua, the ever-handy He-Man of our crumbling Universe.
The water heater is fixed and there don't appear to be anymore leaks. Can we call it now? Can we pronounce this house DOA? A Lemon? (Pardon me while I start silently chanting my de-stress mantra here, "I can do hard things, I can do hard things, I can do hard things.")

1 comment:

Ivy said...

Let's look at the bigger picture here. Yes right now, you are definatly feeling like you bought the "money pit". But atleast you guys are getting all of the repairs done and out of the way right up front. It's not going to hit you one after another after another for the next 10 years (hopefully).

You guys can do hard things!! And you better come up tomorrow. It's christmas eve! Take a break from the pee pit and come enjoy the noisy atmosphere my children will provide us :)